BUG Media - Post Songs, Announcements, Events

• Gravatar–What is that crazy icon beside comments?

Bytown Ukulele Group posted on May 01, 2011 14:26

Hopefully we can get some good community involvement with the site.  BUG members are encouraged to offer feedback on the songs that we sing.  In this way we can have better sessions in the future as we will know what songs work good with the group.  When leaving a comment, you will see a little character beside the comment that you leave.

The little characters are called Avatars, in this case they are Gravatars

The little characters are known on the Internet as Avatars and you can set your own avatar by making a Gravatar.  A Gravatar is a globally recognized avatar that follows you around on sites that you participate in.  It is an image that is associated with your email address and you can have different Avatars associated to different email addresses.  I like the Gravatars because you can tell who is commenting at a glance by recognizing the Avatar associated with your comment.

Get your own Gravatar: Visit www.gravatar.com

image

Register for an account at Gravatar.com, find an image you would like to use as your avatar and follow the instructions at Gravatar.com.

A screenshot of my Gravatar account

Once you have your Gravatar, return to a page where you have left a comment and you should see your global Avatar.  It may sound a little trivial, but it really does add a great deal to the community feel of a website.

Posted in: HELP - Website and membership (5 Comments)

Comments

Mike Cox
# Mike Cox
Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:42 PM
Here is a comment that I am making about this article. I like how the Avatar I have associated with my comment will be associated with all comments I make on this site.
Sue Rogers
# Sue Rogers
Friday, May 6, 2011 8:18 AM
Well, I don't know where that angry little green munchkin came from! I think Mike must have assigned that to me in order to get me to practice my computer skills by having to change it! Thanks for the instructions Mike - I'll give it a go this weekend!
Mike Cox
# Mike Cox
Friday, May 6, 2011 8:44 AM
Actually Sue, I did not choose that avatar for you, it was assigned to you by the system. They use a complicated algorithm written by Google (king of the algorithm), they make an attempt to characterize your demeanor based on the the comments you make and the context in which they are made. Sometimes they hit sometimes they miss, but either way you should get yourself a Gravatar.

(Please note that not all of what I said is true)

Sue Rogers
# Sue Rogers
Saturday, May 7, 2011 1:05 AM
it worked! woo hoo! this is a picture of Mark and me playing ukuleles on a beautiful sand beach on the shores of Lake Superior at Neys Provincial Park!
Sand, surf, ukuleles and love - it doesn't get any better!

Claude Lacelle
# Claude Lacelle
Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:48 PM
Since the BUG website update the Gravatars no longer seem to work.

claude