Canada is an amazing country and truly something to sing about! We're celebrating with Canadian songs, Canadian songwriters, and songs about Canada!
FROM OUR KITCHEN TO YOUR HOME - A BUG JAM! Using Zoom.
It's FREE and you don't need to be any good. This is the kind of BUG you WANT to catch!
No stinkin' virus is going to keep us down! Don your favourite pyjamas or loungewear, grab a snack, a drink (how about takeout/delivery from the Clocktower Brew Pub), your spouse, kids, and/or pets, and sign in on Zoom.
WHEN: Wednesday, June 17
TIME: meet & greet check-in 7:45 pm, singing starts at 8:00 pm (eastern time, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)
WHERE: right in your own home, in your favourite loungewear or pyjamas
THE PDF SONGBOOK, CHORD CHART, and YOUTUBE PLAYLIST FOR THE NIGHT ARE POSTED BELOW - the #1 ENTRY ON THE SONG LIST. The songs in the PDF songbook are in the order of play. But you don't even need the songbook because we'll be displaying the songsheets on your screens and our wonderful Ellen will be scrolling through for all of you. On your own screen, you can resize the songsheet window to take up most of the screen, or if you've got a big screen (we plugged our computer into our TV for Zoom this week) you can resize the songsheet so that you can see more people. Those settings are entirely up to you! You may want to print out the Chord Chart if you're unfamiliar with some of the chords, as you may not always be able to see the chord boxes on the screen.
IF YOU CAN'T JOIN US LIVE for whatever reason, no worries! We'll be recording the jam, so that you can play along with us anytime! Be sure to plug an external speaker into your computer to listen so that you'll hear the uBass and get the full effect! In the recording, no one's names appear on the screens! We'll upload the jam video and songbook we use for the evening on our JAM VIDEOS & SONGBOOKS page.
HOW DO I JOIN IN?
First, all you have to do is download ZOOM - it's free: https://zoom.us
- Turn off all other programs, apps, emails, games, that use the internet. That will maximize your bandwidth to help improve delay and choppiness. Some people have had much better success with Zoom when they plug their device directly into their router/modem with an ethernet cable (depending on your device, you may need to get a USB ethernet dongle to do this).
- The Zoom host will mute everyone just before the song is to start. Then only the song leader will unmute themselves and start the song. Everyone else needs to stay muted - otherwise it's a mess. So if you notice that for some reason your mic is unmuted during the song, i.e., there is not a slash through the microphone symbol, please STOP singing and mute yourself by clicking on the microphone symbol. At the end of the song, if you'd like to clap, hoot, and holler, then you need to unmute yourself - with the latest changes to Zoom, the Zoom host no longer has the ability to unmute everyone.
- For optimal audio quality and volume, plug an external speaker into your device or wear headphones. If you don't do that, the sound may be choppy, tinny, and you won't hear the uBass. If you're using an older Apple product there may be a headphone out jack that you can plug an external speaker into. For newer Apple devices, you may need a USB-C connector to a 3.5 mm audio adapter to connect an external speaker or headphones.
- ZOOM link: https://zoom.us/j/848168915?pwd=dzk2OFBBdmFreitMVVp5RjY5YnlwZz09
- ZOOM password: uke15 (if needed)
- Meeting ID: 848 168 915 (that's if the link above doesn't work for you, you can type the ID in once you click on JOIN MEETING)
- Due to the noise/feedback that occurs when someone connects to Zoom mid-song, the "waiting room" feature will be enabled. So people will only be admitted to the jam from the waiting room in between songs. If you're arriving after 8 pm, please be patient as it might take a few minutes.
- If you're not familiar with Zoom, please take some time to read these help pages ahead of time - they tell you how to test your audio and video:
MANY, MANY THANKS to Ellen Dickson and Ian Taylor for encouraging Mark and I to try this out, and for being the Zoom wizards behind the screens for this jam!